Friday, February 01, 2008

The Pancake Effect

I really like making pancakes. I used to suck at it, inevitably whipping up batches of burnt-on-the-outside, alarmingly-batter-y-on-the-inside breakfast treats. But I have practiced and learned, and have now perfected the chocolate chip pancake, the apple cinnamon pancake, and even the (personal favorite) pumpkin pecan pancake. I bought a griddle specifically so that I could be cooking six pancakes at a time, thus allowing me to make double batches, freeze half the pancakes (you can SO do this!) and still be able to eat my own helping while everyone else is still at least IN the kitchen (have you noticed how usually the generous pancake maker ends up eating alone an hour after breakfast began because they're still at the stove flipping pancakes to use up the batter while everyone else has poured a second cup of coffee and is moving on with their day?)
Ahem. My point being, we like us some pancakes around here. BUT. I have noticed a serious problem. Upon consuming said pancakes, usually with a glass of juice and always with a cup of coffee, I feel full and happy. But a couple hours later, by the time I realize I'm getting hungry for lunch, my blood sugar has plummeted wildly and I feel shaky and dizzy and faint. Yesterday it was so bad I actually felt drunk, which is not a feeling I'm particularly fond of. Tipsy, maybe, but...
What I'm asking from you, my friends, is this: Cure my pancake shakiness without taking the pancakes from me! Do I just need to pair the pancakes with eggs to balance the carbs? Do you have a delicious, "hearty" sort of pancake recipe that is filled with whole grains and will break down slowly in my system, sparing me the sugar crash?
Just don't take my pancakes, okay?!
Also, for some reason spell check is refusing to work today, so disregard any errors as being, not evidence of my lack of basic knowledge, but of the pain-in-the-arse-edness of Blogger.

12 comments:

Tess said...

Well, pairing it with meat or eggs certainly wouldn't HURT. Are you sure it's not the COFFEE?

The lack of Spellcheck is making me panicky. Mistakes Have Been Made and will continue to be made until the Spellcheck work stoppage is over.

Pickles and Dimes said...

I guess I've never had pancakes without either eggs or bacon, so maybe you just need to eat something greasy to combat the pancakes' fluffiness.

Signed,

The Bacon Pusher

jen said...

If it's not the coffee then I think it's the syrup.

make eggs and bacon and let me know what time to come over! hehe

Jess said...

I usually pair breakfast carbs with lox. Because it's the only breakfast meat I like. I have no other help for you. Sorry!

email said...

By the time I get to my pancakes, there's no one else even HOME. And I have a griddle, too. But I too make enough to freeze a bunch, speaking of which, I should do that this weekend. And I can't think of another sentence to begin in such a way as to make my (still living) English teacher roll over in her grave, so my comment must be done.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

I have this same issue. To combat the two-hours-later sugar coma, I use a multigrain pancake mix from Trader Joe's and then mix equal parts almond butter and maple syrup.

Oh and I eat a few strips of BACON, too.

Shannon said...

My only issue is everyone is done eating by the time there are enough for me to eat. Same with waffles.

I would add a mid-morning snack to cure the dizzies.

d e v a n said...

Just add some protein and see if that helps. :)
Dh loves his pancakes too and we have a griddle because of the very reason you mentioned! I hate eating pancakes alone while everyone else is off playing. hmph.

Mommy Daisy said...

I have the same problem with pancakes. We just had them for lunch today. I'd try adding some meat with it.

I also have similar problems when I eat bananas or eggs. I don't get it with those. Hmm.

Black Sheeped said...

It's the coffee combined with the sugar in the pancakes, the sugar in the syrup, the carbs in general. AND orange juice has a lot of sugar in it, usually, unless you are buying a fancy no-sugar kind. I'd skip the coffee/juice combo and have a glass of milk (plus, milk and pancakes = good). Whole wheat flour could help, some protin maybe, as could a little snack later in the morning, to boost the sugar levels, like a piece of fruit.

I make my husband wait for me. My mom would give us pancakes in batches, and then eat last, and I always thought it was sad. I pile them all on a plate, keep something over them to keep them fairly warm (hint: you can heat syrup), and we eat them at the same time. I'm selfish that way.

Swistle said...

When I was pregnant with the twins, I was supposed to eat tons of protein. So I bought this big tub of protein powder at the health food store. They had various kinds: brown rice protein, egg/milk protein, and something else I forget. I tried brown rice and also egg/milk, and both of them are slightly sweet but don't change the flavor of what you're eating very much. I used to put the powder in smoothies.

ANYWAY. What I'm wondering is if you could add some of that powder to pancake mix? I have NO IDEA how that would affect the recipe--maybe TOTALLY RUIN it! The powder is kind of expensive for trying it once and having it not work out (it was about $10 a can--lots of portions, but not if it's a failure).

Anonymous said...

Can you post your pancake recipes?