Monday, February 25, 2008

Flesh Pacifier

This is apparently the new function of my face in general and my chin in particular. See, when he's upset (which is ALWAYS,) I hold Eli to my shoulder and pat his back. Usually he settles down, sucks his thumb, and falls asleep. But lately, rather than sucking his thumb, he has been wrenching his face around, LATCHING ON to any bit of my face he can get in his mouth, and sucking voraciously. I have mini hickeys all over the lower portion of my face, and it's getting somewhat painful as well, the UNLATCHING him part. I just... I have no more words on this subject.
Which is lucky, because our house is being shown tomorrow at four and I have to clean like mad now, not ramble on about my piranha son's desire to suck the flesh off my bones.

P.S. Spellcheck, I knew you'd come crawling back eventually. You thought you could do better...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mini face hickeys is quite the visual. Perhaps you could offer them as extra incentive for potential buyers??

Maggie said...

There are few things in life more attractive than face hickeys. But I suppose that him calming down and trying to suck your face off is better than if he just did it between screams. Maybe he would take a pacifier?

Sarah said...

No such luck, Maggie, no such luck. Must be GENUINE MOMMY SKIN or it does not appease.

Mommy Daisy said...

That's kinda funny. Maybe not so much for you though.
Good luck with the showing.

Jess said...

Oh no! Maybe you could put on some foul-tasting (but non-toxic!) face cream?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's infant is giving her hickeys. I was starting to feel a little dirty.

Anonymous said...

Gabe has been doing this lately too. That and pinching the crap out of my chin and neck. It's like he just discovered my face.

SLynnRo said...

well, that sounds fun!

Fine For Now said...

Ouch! But, it is funny. Good luck with the house showing!

d e v a n said...

yikes! That sounds painful. GOod Luck with the showing!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I didn't know this was a possibility. Not something they cover in the pregnancy/parenting books. Thank you for opening my eyes to the Flesh Pacifier.

LoriD said...

You wouldn't think that would be a very comfortable position for the little guy. But, clearly I'm wrong!

Anonymous said...

My son used to latch on to my husband's nose. It was priceless!

Laura said...

Oh that made me think of one time when my son was nursing and I didn't realize he had latched on...to the wrong spot. Ouch, that was painful.