You know how some bloggers have cool activities, like lists or whatever, that they do depending on what day it is? Like how Kelli does her Thursday Thirteen lists? Well, here's my new activity which I invite you to partake in, and, true to the usual format of this blog, it involves griping. I'm going to pick a random number... Five. And I'm going to list five things that have driven me nuts recently, but are not exactly post-worthy in and of themselves. And anyone who reads one of those items and says "Aha! I myself have been driven insane by that very thing!" must comment about it, and also leave a new "thing that has driven them nuts lately" for me to enjoy. Basically just some good old-fashioned complaining, but things that you maybe have had the courtesy not to unload on anyone yet. Here's your chance. But first it's my turn:
1. Why does no one in our house ever seem to eat leftover ravioli? There are probably three little containers of it in the fridge at any given time, growing mold like they're trying to supply the world with penicillin, but no one will go near them. Myself included.
2. Why do some couples like to spend their entire day in the grocery store together, grimly debating every single item which is placed in their cart? Why am I always behind said couples, waiting impatiently for them to finish their wheat vs. honey wheat cracker debate so I can get to the stinking Cheez-Its, while Adelay is tossing everything already in my cart to the floor? I was behind one couple for almost an hour straight the other day- I kept trying to dodge them, but they found me in every aisle. Here they are in frozen foods: "Do we need waffles yet, George? I think we still have half a bag." "Well, do you want to have to go out for waffles in three days when that bag is gone?"
And here they are again in dairy: "Excuse me, excuse me, young man." (Harried looking stock boy acknowledges them.) "Do you carry the one brand of cottage cheese with the red label? You usually have it: It has a red label." All of this is said in an agitated tone, while the offending contained with the blue label is thrust into the stock boy's face for comparison. "It's not like this. It's a taller container. With a RED label." Stock boy begins to sweat and looks around for someone to save him.
3. Why do my lightbulbs never seem to last as long as promised? In the kitchen right now, two out of four lightbulbs are currently dead, and in our bedroom fan, only one bulb is currently alive. I swear I must change them once a month. On a similar lightbulb note, why are outdoor lampost style lightbulbs five dollars a piece?
4. Why did I feel completely un-nauseaus for a whole week, then randomly throw up at breakfast yesterday? WHAT THE HECK!? That's just not fair to play with my hopes like that. Either I'm over the morning sickness or I'm still sick. One or the other!
5. Why has our insurance gone from 80/20 to 70/30? And why has our copay gone up by fifty percent? It is now going to cost us about twice as much to have this baby as it did to have Adelay. Not that I begrudge the money or anything, and of course we're lucky to have insurance, blah blah blah, but good grief! How does the medical industry get away with charging as much as they do for stuff? I swear those hospitals charge you like, thirty dollars per sanity pad. It's like, "Oh, would you like an ice pack for those swollen and stitched-up body parts through which you just passed an entire human being? That'll be fifty dollars."