Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Song in My Head

I haven't left the house in three days due to weather, but today I was feeling all, "Okay, I'm gonna shower and get dressed, make the bed, clean things up, be productive. Who cares if we're stuck inside again?" So I did all those things, but it was only eleven o' clock after all that, and Addy was just running in circles whining about everything. She wanted to be simultaneously everywhere and nowhere, doing everything, but also not doing everything. I sat down and stared at the wall and thought calmly, "Oh, well. I guess I am going to lose my mind shortly! It had to happen sometime."
Plus, I put on this really warm and snuggly sweater that had been buried under other things and forgotten, and I was so happy to have found it, only to discover that my baby bump (as well as my love handles) were all lopping out from under the sweater. Also, either I shrunk my new jeans, or my rear end has gotten quite a bit fatter in the last few weeks as well. Maybe it was trying to keep my stomach roll company. That's just great. My body is growing sympathy fat!
Oh yeah, and Happy Valentines' Day! I'm just overflowing with that lovin' feeling, can't you tell? I think it's because we're not really celebrating until Saturday (we had scheduled an hour-long couples massage a while back, and I don't care if we have to toboggan all the way to the spa, we are going!) So, I don't really feel in the mood yet. I do, however, distinctly feel the lack of chocolates.
I also distinctly feel, with every single nerve ending, the shrieking of my child, who is currently furiously with me for thwarting her efforts to play in the trash can. Also for trying to feed her bananas and string cheese bits. Oh the horror! How can a kid overwhelm you with both affection and frustration every other minute? I mean, yes, she's driving me nuts this morning, but she also keeps randomly kissing me, and stopping in her tracks to dance to the radio or throw the dog his ball, and it's just so darn cute!
So anyways, after I finally put Addy down for a nap, I walked through the kitchen and that Shawn Colvin song "Sunny Came Home" was on the radio. I love that song anyways, but today I totally just stood still at the sink and listened to the whole thing, mesmerized. Then I looked up the lyrics so I could give you all a dose of melancholy as well! So here you go. (Also, I forgot to tag someone for the meme, so, Swistle, you're it!)

Sunny Came Home
by Shawn Colvin & John Leventhal

Sunny came home to her favorite room
Sunny sat down in the kitchen
She opened a book and a box of tools
Sunny came home with a mission


She says days go by I'm hypnotized
I'm walking on a wire
I close my eyes and fly out of my mind
Into the fire


Sunny came home with a list of names
She didn't believe in transcendence
It's time for a few small repairs she said
Sunny came home with a vengeance


She says days go by I don't know why
I'm walking on a wire
I close my eyes and fly out of my mind
Into the fire


Get the kids and bring a sweater
Dry is good and wind is better
Count the years, you always knew it
Strike a match, go on and do it


Days go by I'm hypnotized
I'm walking on a wire
I close my eyes and fly out of my mind
Into the fire
Light the sky and hold on tight
The world is burning down
She's out there on her own and she's alright
Sunny came home
Sunny came home...

1 comment:

Swistle said...

I loved "Oh, well. I guess I am going to lose my mind shortly!" Laughed and laughed.

Re meme--Okay, you're on!