Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It's In The Genes

So the other night, I could not get peanut M and M's off my mind, and sent Beth (the babysitter) on a little candy run. She came back with both plain and peanut M and M's, as well as two giant mix bags of wrapped mini candy bars- Twix, Kit Kat, Crunch. And another bag with individual Reese's cups, Rolos, and Hershey's Kisses. Um, hello nirvana! The chocolate craving was definitely soothed within the hour. And then some.
But that was too much candy for one person, even for me, so obviously I didn't polish it all off. The next day, there was bowls of candy and M and M's still on the coffee table, which Addy of course discovered within minutes of waking up. We let her have a few plain M and M's, and then hurried the bowls out of sight. Problem solved, right?
Until yesterday evening at dinner, when from her high chair she spotted the now empty bowl in which the M and M's had briefly resided. She pointed and gestured wildly, whimpering, until we showed her the bowl and its emptiness and general lack of sugary goodness. Upon which she promptly snatched it from our hands, buried her head into it deeply, inhaling, and moaning, "MMMM!" After huffing the residual chocolate fumes, she began running her fingers around the bottom of the bowl, desperately and painstakingly trying to pick up the morsels of chipped off M and M coating which still lingered tauntingly. She was a woman possessed.
"I think I'm going to cry," Jim said, as we stared.
I'm beginning to think healthy eating habits are a lost cause. How can good intentions compete with something so clearly in the blood?

9 comments:

d e v a n said...

Oh my, that's hilarious. A girl after my own heart...

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh such a girl. I didn't know it started so young...the chocolate addiction that is. Cute, cute story. I can just picture her now. I suppose maybe it's a good thing that Zachariah really doesn't get chocolate. He's tried it, but mostly I keep my chocolate stash hidden. When I eat any, he's either napping or in bed for the night.

Shannon said...

That is adorable!

jen said...

hee!

my daughter is the same way, and noticeably different than my son. She NEEDS her chocolate.

And hey, chocolate puts them in a good mood, it's the perfect witching hour treat.

Black Sheeped said...

A) Beth? Sounds AWESOME. You're a lucky girl.

B) That's hilarious.

C) Do you eat Nutella? If not, I bet you'd like it. It's how I get my chocolate fix in the morning on toast.

Swistle said...

I know JUST how she feels.

Anonymous said...

Like mother, like daughter :)

I second the Nutella comment. That stuff is so tasty on toast. Add some bananas on top of it and I'm in heaven.....

email said...

Too much candy for one person? Nonsense. There is no such thing. And I did that inhaling chocolate fumes thing just yesterday. :) And I accused everyone else in the house of picking the M&Ms out of the trail mix so that there were no longer enough for me to pick out without it being noticeable.

email said...

I have to add this:

Last night I discovered that peanut M&Ms COME IN A 45 OZ BAG!!!! Holy crap!! I had to buy it. I had some for breakfast with my coffee. I am so bad.