Tuesday, March 01, 2011

That's Ear Infection For The Win

Well, whoever had their money on "ear infection" as being the culprit behind Jameson's increasing displeasure re: nursing just won themselves a big fat jackpot. I had my money on it, too, but you can have my share of the take. I'll be here in my house playing nursemaid, so I won't be able to go blow my winnings on manicures or massages just yet. Someone might as well, though.

Just for funsies, it's a double ear infection, and DING DING BONUS PRIZE Eli has a double ear infection too; both boys are enjoying the accompanying fever (last night, Jamie's was almost 104,) drippy nose, raw upper lip from wipe wipe wiping, and general disposition of an injured bull. That's the second round of ear infections for the boys in as many months. In a really timely turn of events, Eli has suddenly decided he hates any kind of liquid medicine and will ONLY take chewable tablets. This would be fine if he only needed acetaminophen, but since he now requires antibiotics, guess which lucky schmuch is going to get to wrestle a medicine syringe into his screaming mouth twice a day?

I'm going to need a breather before I attempt it, though, since I just used up every ounce of my strength trying to follow the doctor's advise and administer saline drops and then suction out Eli's nose. (Result: total fail.) Poor kid's lip is so red the skin is almost open, so the doctor said he's at risk for impetigo if it doesn't heal up a little. He strongly urged me to suction out his nose several times a day so it isn't running constantly. "Oh ok!" I said breezily, while my heart sank. No problem! I'll just SIT on him and then try to hold his flailing arms down with one elbow while I squirt liquid up his nose with my other hand, trying to block the heart wrenching screams out long enough to do the job. It'll be super fun and easy!

Meanwhile, poor baby has utterly refused to nurse all day long, and is sleeping wearily after screaming his head off for the duration of his check up. I've had to pump several feedings, which I sure hope he eventually decides to eat, since he's now on dehydration watch. Poor poor sad baby. Last night was so awful. First, the older two kids were in and out of my room, stuffy noses, needing drinks, needing medicine, the usual. Then when Jameson woke up at four to eat, he was just burning up. I took his temp (103.9,) gave him baby Tylenol, then tried to nurse him. He ate a little bit, weakly, then resumed crying. I sat up with him for an hour to make sure his fever went down enough that I could safely sleep again. It was hard to go back to sleep, though, when I'd been readying myself to take him to the hospital if he hadn't cooled off sufficiently. In the first twenty minutes it had only gone down about point six degrees, so I gave it another twenty and then I was totally going in if it wasn't significantly better.

This morning I was literally nauseous with fatigue, but off we went to the doctor. My hands were shaking a little bit as I got the kids ready, I noticed. Sleepiness does strange things to people. If anyone wanted to torture me for information, sleep deprivation would totally be the way to go. Pain? Eh. But a few more nights of this craziness and I'd turn in my own family members to make it stop. I should probably be napping now, as a matter of fact, but I really needed to vent for a bit first. Imagine this as a euphemistic method of smashing plates and stomping and screaming in rage, because that's what my mind is doing. Enough of the sickness already! My poor kids are miserable, and my own cope container is just about FULL, enough so that even though I know they feel badly, I'm getting kind of snappy and impatient with them, especially in the mornings, because I'm still sickish myself and am just so unspeakably tired.

Sigh. I should cheer up since my cousin's wife had her baby girl early this morning (they named her Siddalee, like in Divine Secrets of The Ya Ya Sisterhood) and I'm so happy for them. Poor thing was a week overdue, too! But all I can think about is my friend Jess waiting to have HER baby, and how I'm so excited to go over and be with her- she's having a home birth! But I can't do that if I'm sick, now can I? MUST GET WELL. EVERYONE MUST GET WELL NOW.

16 comments:

Nowheymama said...

YES! You must get well and report from the front lines of Jess's birth.

Sorry if I passed along our ear infections via blogging. :)

Jessica said...

Yes, you need to get well. I NEED you here in case Adam falls apart ;)

Devan said...

OH dear. I love how doctors always tell us to do things that are practically impossible. (Sure, sure, i'll put these eye drops in his eyes 4x a day if you'll send me home with 2 nurses to hold him down and pry open his eyelids.)
I hope you guys are all feeling MUCH better VERY SOON.

Saly said...

Oh all you poor sickies!! The first day of antibiotics for us, always produces a deep good night's sleep. I hope it is coming for you.

Tracy said...

I hate that suction thingy! It is SO hard to get the kids to actually sit still. It really does require sitting on them. Of course, in the meantime, they are getting more and more worked up, and producing more and more snot. Snot that you have to suction out again.

Marie Green said...

My 3rd was Chronic Ear Infection Baby, so I became the MASTER at nose suctioning. Here's my tips: 1. skip the saline. 2. make sure you plug the other nostril with your finger. NO ONE told me this, but it's absolutely the only way to suction anything out. 3. While holding other nostril shit, depress bulb, insert and release. Then do the other side. You'll get fast at it, and it really will help!

Jana said...

You win the sleeplessness contest! Hope everyone gets to feeling better soon. And I hope you get a good night's sleep soon.

Joanne said...

Oh, Lord, that is a lot! I hope that everyone is better soon. I'm glad you were right about the ear infection, at least there is an end in sight. I hope it's soon.

clueless but hopeful mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clueless but hopeful mama said...

Man, that's just not fair.

Hope you all are better ASAP. If I could send you a big basket of sleep, I would.

Misty said...

So, my eldest was a bear about taking medicine when he was in the 2-4 age range, too. I shall tell you want I did just in case you decide it might be helpful. Hopefully people won't report me to child protection.

I used to swaddle him in a big beach towel, just enough to hold his arms down. Then I would lay him on the kitchen floor (because it was easiest to clean if he spit) and straddle him, holding his arms to his sides tightly with my legs. THEN I would hold his nose until he opened his mouth and squirt the medicine in. Then I would wait until he had to swallow to breath before I let go of his nose.

Then I would rock and rock him on the floor of the kitchen. It was never a fun experience for either of us.

Rachel said...

Spring, please COME NOW!! February always seems to be the worst. Thank goodness March is over.

Nik-Nak said...

Double ear infections??!! Sounds horrible! I hope everyone gets well and SOON!

mamashine said...

I have a technique similar to Misty's- Lay him on his back on the floor and sit down behind his head in a straddle. That way you can tuck one of his arms under each of your legs, but HIS legs are still free to kick and be angry so he's not completely powerless. However, there's no part of your body he can reach with his flailing feet. Then his open screaming mouth is right there and you have both hands free to get the meds in there. It's not fun, but it works every time.

Kelsey said...

I feel like I'm just hopping around the Internet leaving, "I'm sorry!" comments on people's blogs because so many of us have sick children.

Hope things return to normal in your neck of the woods soon!

Mommy Daisy said...

Have you ever tried Boogey Wipes? You can get them at Walmart, I think. Look them up online if nothing else. They are saline wipes for noses to keep them from getting raw and irritated. Might help. I have a box that is open if you could still use them. I used the once or twice when I was watching my nephew, but I don't need them anymore.