Thursday, March 17, 2011

Drumroll Please...

Here is my hair immediately following the chemical straightening:


And here it is two days later (immediately following having family portraits taken, which explains the sudden appearance of eyeliner and lipstick:)





Um, I can't even tell you how much I love it. This is not even my hair, you guys. Addy keeps commenting on it; she can't get over how that could possibly be my same unruly mop of waves and frizz and poofiness. I am so thankful now that I have in the past been so very negligent of styling/coloring my hair, because that's why it was so healthy going into the straightening process and why it turned out so shiny. I mean, I think it would still work on colored or frequently styled hair, but I'd be afraid of breakage and stuff.

Basically the stuff is like a backwards perm, though my friend assured me the chemicals aren't quite as harsh, and it certainly didn't SMELL as harsh as a perm. You just glop on the initial treatment, make sure every strand is saturated from tip to end, and then keep combing it through until your hair no longer waves or curls in the usual places. On my hair it took a full hour of combing and waiting and checking and re-combing until it was staying straight. Then you rinse, blow it dry- and voila! This is literally what my hair looked like just after DRYING it, no straightening! Then you put on a conditioning treatment and then a setting treatment, rinse again, dry again, and straighten with a flat iron.

Then you can't do ANYTHING to it for forty eight hours to make sure it "takes" without any little bumps or wrinkles. Like, I haven't even been allowed to tuck my hair behind my ears, which is a massive pain in the butt while doing things that require bending over. Hard to wipe butts with hair in your eyes, no matter how shiny and straight it is! And you have to sleep on a silk pillowcase for two nights so it doesn't crease (or you can just throw your old silk lingerie over your pillow. It might as well see SOME action, amiright?)

But it is totally worth it. Every time I see myself in the mirror I start smiling. I can't believe I finally (for at least three months, anyways) have Good Hair. The average cost is seventy five dollars an hour for the treatment, and for my hair it took four hours from start to finish, so, $300 without tip. But I paid... less than that. I won't say more for fear of getting nice people into trouble! It was still way more than I usually spend on my hair (that being nothing) but I am not sorry. And I am very touched that my husband gave me half of his Biggest Loser winnings! I WAS going to save it for boring house projects, but this is so much better!

12 comments:

Swistle said...

It looks GREAT.

bananafana said...

SOOOOO beautiful. of course, you always look adorable but I'm glad it's making you happy!

Tess said...

I've actually heard of several people with amazing results on the chemical straightening. Makes me wonder how many celebrities do it.

Anyway, it looks LOVELY!

artemisia said...

Your hair looks soooo good! It is so shiny! I can't imagine having a good hair day every day.

That is awesome.

Mary O said...

Oooh, I LOVE it!

Jessica said...

It looks so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You look stunning!

Nik-Nak said...

LOVE it!! You can't put a price a hair that cooperates is my motto.

Kelsey said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! I'm so impressed.

I would pay a lot of money for something that would do that to my hair...

Mommy Daisy said...

Wow, what a difference! But I have to say I don't understand how someone could pay $300 to have their hair be straight and flat like my boring hair is every day. Funny how we can't appreciate what we naturally have. (I'm not being rude here, but saying that seems to be what most people see...me included. Especially when it comes to hair. If it's straight, you'd rather it be curly. If it's curly, you'd rather it be straight...etc.)

Saly said...

I LOVE IT!!!!

d e v a n said...

LOOOOOOVE the hair! That totally makes me want to do it, especially as I sit here with my frizzy, poofy, bun on my head.