Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Randoms

*I got a new toothbrush about a week ago, a Crest Max White or something like that, and it is seriously tearing my mouth up. There's a special stain remover thingie on the end of it that's supposed to get between your teeth, but it provides less of a thorough scrubbing and more of a savage gum shredding. The sides of my tongue are also all raw, though maybe I'm grinding my teeth in my sleep or something. At any rate, let's just say the insides of my mouth are a mess right now.

*Addy has gotten to do a lot of fun stuff lately with me and other female relatives. She went with my mom and me to Riverdance a few weeks ago, which was really fun (though she was mortified when I started step dancing in the elevator of the parking garage) and then with Grandma, Aunt Jenn, her cousin Rachel and me to a kids' symphony production on Sunday which was really amazing. Plus she takes dance and her has own recital coming up in a few months... Not that any of this is bad, I just feel like Eli doesn't have much going on that's special for him. Not sure what to do about this though; it's not like he would have ENJOYED watching Celtic step dancing for two hours straight. But it feels like he spends a lot of time sitting at home with Jim while Addy and I are out doing stuff.

*I'm in the market for a chiropractor. Five months of nursing (and I'm a lazy nurser with bad posture, plus have a baby who is infamous for choosing weird positions/frequently changing positions while nursing) plus increasingly frequent bed sharing (which I can do, but there's a very specific position I have to be in so that I'm sure I won't roll over on baby and that he can't pull covers over himself) and my back is effed up beyond what even a massage could fix, I think. But I'm nervous. I've never been to a chiropractor. And a massage just sounds so much NICER.

*I got my hair cut. Like, significantly. About five inches. And it took the stylist (an old classmate of mine from high school) TWO HOURS just to thin it and cut it. I was planning on getting highlights but we didn't have time after unloading two pounds worth of hair on the salon floor. (The highlights were going to disguise the increasing number of WHITE HAIRS FTLOG that keep appearing, very noticeably, in my very dark hair. I am not even yet twenty seven. I would like to know to whom I may address my grievance.) As she was attempting to flat iron my hair, my friend noted that my hair is so thick and there is so much of it that I would be an ideal candidate for professional chemical straightening. And... I'm going to do it. I'm going in next week. Apparently it will take two to four hours, but then once it's done, assuming all goes well, my hair will be perfectly straight and smooth for months. I'm a little nervous just because it's so dang expensive (I will be blowing my share of Jim's winnings from his weight loss contest- man lost thirty pounds in eight weeks!) and it would really suck if it didn't work right or if for some reason I didn't like it. But I really can't foresee that happening. How could I dislike having my hair look smooth and stylish when I'm used to settling simply for trying to CONTAIN my hair in a ponytail or messy bun?

*Tomorrow is Jess's due date. BABY BABY BABY BABY. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself after this one's born. I've been awaiting someone's birth for the last six months straight, but this is the last one to arrive. Someone else needs to get pregnant! Oh ho ho no, but not me.

11 comments:

Nik-Nak said...

You have to provide pictures of the chemical straightening. I, too, have thick hair and now I am intrigued!

But does your ahir have to be curly? Does it work if it's already straightish?

Nowheymama said...

Yay, other people's babies! :)

d said...

My hair is like that too. hee
I hope it turns out well! I wish I could lose 30 lbs in 8 weeks. wow!

Anonymous said...

Whoops. That was me above...

~Devan

Kelsey said...

Oh yes, I also would like to request hair photos -maybe of the before and after variety?

I wouldn't worry too much about balancing the time w/ the kids. Harper is way ahead as far as stuff like that too, mostly because Michael is just too little. It will all even out eventually. For a while you'll do things together or the boys will get some of their own special outings, and then don't forget, they'll have you when she's off to college. I say don't sweat it.

Sorry about the toothbrush, that happens to me from time to time - I can never tell which ones are going to be brutal.

Swistle said...

I want TONS of before and after photos. TONS. My hair is thick and wavy, and I have been DYING to know what chemical straightening is like. I once used a perm kit on my hair but to GET RID OF a perm (that is, I put it on my hair, then combed my hair straight until it was supposed to be "done perming") and it was GREAT.

Misty said...

I so know how your back feels. Everything you said, I am all ME TOO!

Marie Green said...

I don't have SUPER thick hair, but it's half curly half not, so I too am interested in your chemically straightening experience. Pictures, please?

Also, just for you, I went ahead and got knocked up. Though, sorry, I'm not due until early Sept... I know you were probably wanting something a little closer to look forward to.

Joanne said...

That toothbrush sounds evil, I hate getting pain from something that is supposed to be good for me AND painless. I wonder if cranio-sacral massage would help you? I had it after a car accident messed up my neck and back and it was AMAZING.

artemisia said...

I always thought you had super thick hair in your pictures. It SUCKS to blow dry it, doesn't it?

I don't have thick hair, but I have A LOT of hair. It is so hard to find a stylist that knows how to properly thin it! A stylist once went so crazy on my hair that I looked like a chemo patient from behind.

I wish I were joking.

I say retire that toothbrush to detail cleaning around the house and find a gentler one. That one sounds MEAN.

Mommy Daisy said...

If you're looking for a good chiropractor around here, I really like Dr. Gillis. He's on Cable, I'm sure you've seen the signs for it. Anyway, he's very nice and does a great job. Plus they can get you in really quickly if/when needed. You'd be surprised at how much better you feel after a few trips to a chiropractor.