Monday, September 01, 2008

From Canada With Love

Eli's birthday party was a huge success- I didn't forget anything vital, and the birthday boy took all his naps and was therefore cheerful and smiling all day long. Also, almost everyone I invited showed up, and I just felt so surrounded by love.

You know, one of the things I always wished for growing up was a bigger extended family, with plenty of aunts and cousins and just PEOPLE to go around. My mom was an only child, though, and my dad had just one sister, so there wasn't too much in the way of giant family get togethers. As a result, our immediate family is very close, which is of course lucky enough right there, but I am so grateful that in marrying Jim, I also got the big Walton family thing that I always wanted, too. I know all of you out there who have icky in-laws and strained relationships want to slap me right now, but there is honestly not a single person in either of our families that I don't genuinely like. I am not unaware of the incredible luckiness of this.

Ok, enough sentiment. Shake it off, people! And now on to pictures- but not birthday pictures, because I still haven't found the cord to download them. What I CAN offer you is pictures of last weekend, in Canada, which MIL emailed me from her Treo. Why were they on her Treo? Because all FOUR adults managed to forget their cameras. One of the drawbacks of truly impromptu getaways is forgetting to pack certain important items.


The first two days were gorgeous, sunny and warm. Keep in mind that all of this is private beach area, which my MIL and her siblings have been playing on since THEY were little kids. They know pretty much everyone else who has cottages on this stretch of beach, so there are no obnoxious strangers ruining your day. Everyone knows each other from way back. Also, lots of people bring their dogs, and watching them swim is so fun. I wished I could have taken Fonzie along.



From L to R: my MIL, Addy (who these days does not enjoy posing for the camera,) my SIL, Aunt Nancy, and of course, me, the bra-less wonder.



This is one of the only pictures of me with a good smile. Not coincidentally, I am filling my plate.




Long days in the sun are apparently the trick to getting Adelay to nap again.



I love this one. Addy with her cousin Rachel.



Collecting shells.




This was honestly one of the best weekends I've ever had. It was truly relaxing in every sense, without the usual chaos and expense of normal vacations. It was utterly peaceful and beautiful. Being beside the lake the last morning, watching the whitecaps roll endlessly up and down, made me feel so small but so very peaceful.

11 comments:

Mary O said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend. You are so lucky to have in-laws that you get along with so well.
Do remember to post pictures of the big birthday bash! =)

Astarte said...

This sounds so wonderful. I almost feel relaxed just thinking about it, really. I'll bet it smelled really good, too, in that way that lakes do. Ahhh.

Addy is very cute asleep.

SLynnRo said...

Glad you had a good weekend- you certainly deserve it. Counting the minutes til I'm at the beach next...

Manager Mom said...

I'm an only child too and I am so glad that my husband has in-laws that I love. Glad you had a good weekend!

Swistle said...

Oh what great pictures!

Jill said...

Ahhh the lake! People here think I'm crazy for preferring lakes to the ocean, but I grew up around the great lakes and they will always have a place in my heart.
I am totally jealous of your vacation.

Jess said...

When I was maybe eight years old, one Saturday we just randomly up and drove to the beach for no reason other than that we wanted to. My mother was always a huge planner and we never did things on the spur of the moment. That weekend at the beach still stands out in my memory as one of the most amazing trips ever. I'm glad you had a great weekend like that too. You deserve it!

d e v a n said...

It sounds great. I'm so happy that you have a great family! :)

Anonymous Her said...

Love the pics! You look fabulous. Can't wait to see birthday pictures!

Anonymous said...

Having a large family is awesome. My dad is one of nine. One of his sisters has eight kids (and some of her kids are starting to have kids). Family get togethers are never boring.

Mommy Daisy said...

Glad Eli's birthday party was a success.

Awesome trip photos. Looks like a great time.