Friday, August 29, 2008

Are You There, Percocet? It's Me, Sarah.

All went well with the d and c. We even got into the operating room ahead of schedule, by some miracle, and the most (physically) uncomfortable part of the whole ordeal was the IV placement and blood taking. In the end I opted for heavy sedation rather than general anesthesia, thanks in no small part to my pre-op nurse, who, upon hearing my offhand comment that I was feeling a little tense, replied, "Well, sure! I would be too, if they were going to put me under! I mean, when you're a nurse, when you know the things we know..." And then she SHOOK HER HEAD GRIMLY! Way to instill confidence in the medical process, Nurse Ratchet.

Let me just say, though, that was SOME heavy sedation. I remember absolutely nothing beyond my questioning the nurse, "Is that stuff in the IV going in already? I feel a little weird..." The next thing I knew I was back in my room, and abruptly began sobbing when I remembered what I had just woken up from. Then the nurse arrived, and I stopped crying, had some toast and Sprite, and slowly began to feel normal again.

Actually, I am now feeling remarkably cheerful, thanks to many little graces, not the least of which, I am sure, is the cocktail of pharmaceuticals currently in my veins.

Firstly, a massage gift certificate, complete with an offer for babysitting, from my perfect, thoughtful friend Jess (and completely incidentally, I have in my lifetime had THREE best friends named Jessica. I now tend to instinctively trust that someone named Jessica will be thoughtful and funny and loyal. Thoughts?)

Secondly, the fact that my house is pretty darn clean despite the flurry of the last few days. This is because my SIL and, of course, Jess, took turns babysitting my kids pretty much all day Wednesday so that I could get the pre-party scrubbing and fussing over and done with before the procedure. My mom offered to do it FOR me, but I quickly reminded her that I much prefer to do my own cleaning. Also, for me, there is no better therapy for conflicted emotions and frayed nerves than the smell of cleaning products wafting through my house.

Thirdly, my mom and MIL. Our family, I think, could not survive without them. My mom picked the kids up around ten this morning, and until about seven o' clock tonight, which is when I finally woke up and felt normal again, I could relax and trust that they were happy and cared for. They even got baths! And when I DID awake, and stumble out of my room to get hugs and kisses from my babies, there was waiting for me a perfect chicken casserole from my MIL, the kind with Velveeta, cream of mushroom, and French's onions baked to a crisp on top. This isn't always my kind of thing, but when you're feeling wobbly and pathetic, there are few things more comforting than a good casserole. Er, hotdish. Sorry, Tessie.

14 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm so glad that things went well and that you are in good spirits! Enjoy the party for Eli -- I can't wait to see pictures!

LoriD said...

I'm so glad you have such a great support system. Keep well and enjoy the party!

Chelle said...

Thinking of you :)

Fiona Picklebottom said...

I'm glad everything went well. And that you're surrounded by such great people.

Astarte said...

Oh, I'm just catching up on my reading, and I'm so sorry that all this happened to you!!!! WTF was up with that nurse, holy hell?! I'm glad you're on the other side, and have a party to distract you some. Take lots of photos to show us!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you! ((hug))

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are feeling well and that everything went fine. Good luck with Eli's party. Tell the little man Happy Birthday for me!

Nicole said...

Wow, that's a great support system you have. It's good to hear that you are feeling pretty okay, too.

Swistle said...

Okay, that nurse! CRAZY!! I'm glad the sedation was nice and thick.

Also: you are so right about casseroles.

Jess said...

I'm glad that it went as well as it could have, all things considered. And as for thoughts about the name Jess--well, I think you can guess that I agree with you there!

d e v a n said...

Ah, what a wonderful support system you have. I'm so glad things went well. I'd like to smack that nurse though.

RachelAnn said...

I'm sorry I live 12 hours away and can't be there for you : (

Mommy Daisy said...

Glad you are doing well. *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

My name is Mike Conlin and i would like to show you my personal experience with Percocet.

I am 20 years old. Have been on Percocet for 25 days now. This drug works very well for pain, however be aware that it is EXTREMELY ADDICITVE if not taken appropriately. Dependence/tolerance is easily built up, and it will make you feel euphoric if enough is taken. My best advice is to throw them out if you ever feel you are taking them for anything other then the exact reason they were prescribed

I have experienced some of these side effects-
dizzyness, lightheadedness, a sort of euphoric feeling, odd dreams, drowsyness and also itchyness. The itchyness is very sporadic (for lack of a better word) and comes in different spots all over my body, although not very intense if taken appropriately.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Mike Conlin