Monday, May 21, 2007

A Grooming Habits Meme!

Except actually, I want ALL of you to reply to it, so while I'm going to tag a few bloggers who I think would enjoy doing this one, I still want comments, too! If you want, just choose a particular question about which you have something to say, and don't feel obligated to answer every single one.
I wanted to do this questionnaire because I was thinking lately about how much my definition of "getting ready" for the day has changed since becoming a mother! This meme covers things from makeup to leg waxing to how much money you spend on yourself, now vs. pre-children. Here goes:

1. On average, how much time would you estimate that you spend on your daily grooming routines, from brushing teeth to showering to any sort of hair/makeup fixing?
I would guess roughly forty-five minutes, when I average in the days I actually take time to blow dry and put on makeup and stuff. Most days, though, it's probably more like twenty minutes.

2. How much time did you spend before having kids on grooming habits?
At least an hour. Some days more.

3. Do you wear makeup every day?
No... I definitely used to, but since Addy came along, priorities have shifted!

4. If you do the makeup thing, do you buy the expensive stuff (department store, Sephora, etc.) or do you head for the cosmetics aisle at the drugstore?
When I was in high school, I used to spend probably half my paycheck on makeup and facial products at Clinique, but now I am strictly drugstore!

5. Do you have a "mom" hairstyle which you fall back on routinely?
I cut my hair really short while I was pregnant with Addy, so that I never had to dry or style it, but it has since grown past my shoulders, so now my usual hairdo is a ponytail. Oftentimes a WET ponytail.

6. How often do you get your hair cut? Do you get any coloring/highlights done?
I am very sporadic about haircuts- maybe every six months. I used to get blond highlights, but my hair grows so ridiculously fast that my roots are showing in a week, so I no longer bother with that.

7. Do you use salon products on your hair regularly, or ever?
I've bought a few things in the past, but definitely not on a regular basis.

8. Do you shave your legs every day? If not, how often?
I probably shave every three days. Sometimes less than that, if it's winter. And I have dark leg hair, so I should probably be an every day-er, but it takes too long!

9. Do you routinely get treatments like waxing, brow shaping, manicures, pedicures, or massages?
No, just once or twice a year, when I get gift certificates for massages.

10. Did you USED to do any of the above routinely?
I used to get massages once a month. I really do miss it, but between paying for the actual service and hiring a sitter to watch Addy, I can't really afford to anymore.

11. Are you loyal to any particular brand of skin care, hair product, or makeup? If so, do you feel it's truly worth it and makes a difference in your appearance?
I am a big product junkie- I love trying new stuff. I could stand in the toiletries aisles of the drugstore forever choosing the perfect face wash or scrub or whatever. The only thing I always have on hand is St. Ives Apricot Scrub, or the store generic of it. And in the summer, I always use Clean and Clear's Dual Action moisturizer- it's the only thing I've ever tried that keeps me from breaking out but never makes my skin feel dry. And lately, I have become a convert of Dove hair products. I think I will stick with it from now on. It really smells amazing, I think, and the scent kind of lingers all day, almost like a light, clean perfume.

12. On average per month, adding in the cost for everything from body wash to razors to hair cuts to new mascara, how much would you guess you spend on your own personal care and keeping? Did it used to be more?
I would estimate between forty and fifty dollars, all things included. And yes, it definitely used to be more!

Okay, I tag Jennifer at Playgroups Are No Place For Children and Shauna at Pass The Chocolate!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. On average, how much time would you estimate that you spend on your daily grooming routines, from brushing teeth to showering to any sort of hair/makeup fixing?

Probably a total of 40 minutes or so. 20 minutes in the morning and maybe 20 at night.

2. How much time did you spend before having kids on grooming habits?

I can't answer this one yet. But, I have a feeling it won't change much once he is here. I've never been very high maintenance.

3. Do you wear makeup every day?

Just eyeshadow, mascara, blush and lip gloss.

4. If you do the makeup thing, do you buy the expensive stuff (department store, Sephora, etc.) or do you head for the cosmetics aisle at the drugstore?

Drugstore. Or, I ask for the expensive stuff at Christmas from my mother.

5. Do you have a "mom" hairstyle which you fall back on routinely?

I've had mom hair since age 16. It's in a ponytail everyday of my life unless it is the weekend and I am feeling particularly energetic to do it.

6. How often do you get your hair cut? Do you get any coloring/highlights done?

I get a trim once or twice a year. No coloring anymore, but I used to do it myself at home. Now that my sister is in hair school I may start having her do it for me.

7. Do you use salon products on your hair regularly, or ever?

Only when I flat iron it (once or twice a year), I have this balm from the salon I use for the flyaways. Other than that it's good old generic shampoo and conditioner.

8. Do you shave your legs every day? If not, how often?

When my morning sickness was bad I went two months without shaving them. Lately I've been doing it every other day because I have busted out the capris and skirts.

9. Do you routinely get treatments like waxing, brow shaping, manicures, pedicures, or massages?

Nope. Although the husband is a massage therapist, so I do get those occasionally.

10. Did you USED to do any of the above routinely?

I used to get manicures every couple of months, but now I can't justify spending the money.

11. Are you loyal to any particular brand of skin care, hair product, or makeup? If so, do you feel it's truly worth it and makes a difference in your appearance?

Not really. I usually buy whatever is cheapest.

12. On average per month, adding in the cost for everything from body wash to razors to hair cuts to new mascara, how much would you guess you spend on your own personal care and keeping? Did it used to be more?

I would estimate around $25, if that.

Anonymous said...

1. 20-30 minutes depending on if I have time/energy to blow dry my hair and/or put make up on

2. 45-60 minutes

3. Some weeks I try to more than others, usually just eyeliner & mascara.

4. Used to be Clinique, now more of a drugstore girl because it's easier to get (without having to go to the mall)

5. I had my hair all one length and was tired of it, so when Peanut was 6 months old I tried a new hairstyle that involved layers AND bangs. Needless to say it was a BAD idea!! I just want something simple that can look good quickly - is that too much to ask??

6. Pre-Baby, I used to be religious about having it done every 6 weeks. Now I'm lucky to get it done every 3 months, esp now that I'm having to grow my hair out from the Mistake Haircut.

7. Daily because we live in high humidity and it's essential to keep my hair as frizz-free as possible.

8. I wish I did, but who has time? I try to get to them about every 3 days.

9. Sadly, no.

10. I used to be religious about tending to myself (waxing mustache, eyebrows, etc) but now I'm lucky if I remember to do it monthly. How sexy!

11. I am a big product junkie, too and I am forever trying new stuff in hopes of finding the magic solution.

12. $25-50

Swistle said...

I wear a little make-up nearly every day. My usual make-up is face powder, a little blush, and light brown undereye pencil. If I'm going somewhere, I like to add lipstick. I buy drugstore everything.

My favorite mom hairstyle is to twist hair up from the nape and use a claw clip to secure it with sproings coming out of the top--a messy french-twist thing. My hair isn't long enough for it right now, but I'm growing it.

I love to try new things, too! I like the whole Dove line, though, and I like Oil of Olay night cream, so I pretty much always have those in addition to the new products I'm currently trying.

CAQuincy said...

1. On average, how much time would you estimate that you spend on your daily grooming routines, from brushing teeth to showering to any sort of hair/makeup fixing?

Anywhere between 20 to 40 minutes.

2. How much time did you spend before having kids on grooming habits?

About 30-40 minutes. High school? An hour!

3. Do you wear makeup every day?

I've never been a makeup wearer. I've been trying to wear it more often to try to get out of that "frumpy housewife" mode (and to maybe look a little more professional), but frankly, I'm just too tired and too lazy.

4. If you do the makeup thing, do you buy the expensive stuff (department store, Sephora, etc.) or do you head for the cosmetics aisle at the drugstore?

Drugstore. I have a few Mary Kay things I like--but I haven't even bought that in years. Ironically, even though I don't wear a lot of make-up, I love buying it. Something about the sight of brand-new lipsticks and eyeshadows--they're just so pretty!

5. Do you have a "mom" hairstyle which you fall back on routinely?

Right now my hair is really long (past bra-strap), but it is cut in long layers and has a nice soft curl to it. My hair is usually pulled back in a barrette or in a pony tail or bun. I've been thinking of getting it cut to a better (once again less "frumpy" style)--and donating it to Locks of Love. I got my hair cut "short" (for me) to my shoulders with each pregnancy. Hmmm...hair is long again. Time for another baby?

6. How often do you get your hair cut? Do you get any coloring/highlights done?

I usually get haircuts every 3 to 6 months. I've actually never colored my hair. I like my dirty blonde!

7. Do you use salon products on your hair regularly, or ever?

No way. I'm too cheap. The most salon I've ever done is Pantene--which is apparently a "sin." Sorry. I didn't know! You mean those ads are false?

8. Do you shave your legs every day? If not, how often?

How horrible is this? In the winter I only shave once a week! But my leg hair is mostly blonde, and I wear jeans to work, so who's gonna notice? I am better in the summer--usually every other day or every third day (depending on how many times I hit the snooze).

9. Do you routinely get treatments like waxing, brow shaping, manicures, pedicures, or massages?

No.

10. Did you USED to do any of the above routinely?

No. Just not in the budget. *sigh*

11. Are you loyal to any particular brand of skin care, hair product, or makeup? If so, do you feel it's truly worth it and makes a difference in your appearance?

Not really. Except the only bar soap I'll buy is Dove. OH--and I can't live without my Oil of Olay face lotion!

12. On average per month, adding in the cost for everything from body wash to razors to hair cuts to new mascara, how much would you guess you spend on your own personal care and keeping? Did it used to be more?

Hard to say. I'll guess anywhere between $20 to $30. And I've never really spent a lot on myself.

Lisa said...

Love the post!
Sorry I don't have time to reply to each question...in a nutshell, I've always been low maintenance and somehow pulled it off before.
As a Mom, I'm not pulling it off, I'm a mess.
My routine goes like this...I don't have a routine and every few weeks I get to the point where I can't stand myself for another second and then I do something little like buy some new lip gloss here, get my hair cut there, but I am never pulled together, If I'm wearing make-up, my hair is mess, if my hair looks good, I have babyfood stains on my shirt:) I'm just a mess:)