Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 15

A favorite food. Well, right now my favorite food is what I just finished eating- lemon cheesecake bars with coconut and chopped almonds. I started with a Krusteaz lemon bar mix (you could certainly make your own from scratch; I've done that before too, but today I needed my lemon fix FAST) and then followed the cheesecake variation instructions on the back of the box, which is basically to put a layer of softened cream cheese beaten with an egg and a third a cup of sugar on top of the crust before you put the lemon filling on. Then I just stirred some coconut flakes into the lemon filling, and topped the final product with more coconut and chopped almonds before baking.

It was fairly simple to throw together, requiring only eggs and sugar as well as the coconut and almonds- and I think you could also use pecans, or maybe put a berry jam on top instead of the coconut. The hardest part was waiting the forty minutes to bake it and another half hour to cool sufficiently for me cut it and dive in.

Chocolate seems like an easy and obvious pick for a favorite food, and overall it probably is my first love. But I find that by the end of winter I'm always craving tastes that remind me of spring, and lemon does the trick every time.

3 comments:

Marie Green said...

I am so angry with you right now. Because NOW you have me craving a lemon bar. Or a WHOLE PAN of lemon bars. Only, it's blizzarding outside, I have 2 sick kids, and I doubt I could get out of my driveway. THANKS A MILLION.

*wipes drool from chin*

Nik-Nak said...

Oh I love all things lemon..I must try this!

Marie Green said...

BTW, David picked up a lemon bar mix last night, and I had one both last night and this morning. YUMMO. Thanks for the idea.