So here's the deal (besides the obvious fact that I am indeed still in a state of pregnancy): my thirty-nine week appt. is tomorrow, and Dr. D has offered to "get things started" if I don't go into labor on my own today. This offer, which I scoffed at six days ago, is sounding mighty tempting right about now. Even more so after I got a phone call this morning, telling me that my friend, the one who is due ten days AFTER me, is in labor!
After my initial shock/outrage at the unfairness of it all wore it off, I was of course completely excited, and went over to the hospital to see her for awhile. She was at four cm. and ninety percent effaced, and they broke her water while I was there, so now, as of three thirty this afternoon, I am on pins and needles waiting for a call that the baby is here! It's so exciting; when I went in, I was filled with a weird nostalgia/anticipation- remembering Addy's birth and also awaiting my son's. I am also now filled with plotting and planning, 'cause after being there, in the presence of actual labor, I am even more desperate to get my own going.
My dilemma is two fold: If I don't go into labor tonight, do I agree to an induction tomorrow or Friday? I have always said I don't want to go that route, but this weekend is Labor Day- what if I go into labor then and my own doctor, who I love, is out of town and I get stuck with the on-call? Also, what if I'm dilated even more by tomorrow? I'm getting kind of scared that my water's just going to suddenly break at home, and that by the time the doula gets here and Addy gets situated with the sitter, I'm going to have a baby head coming out between my legs! I don't want to be on the news for giving birth in a car, thank you very much. I'd feel a little safer having the water break at the hospital, because with Addy, I remember things moving very very quickly after that point.
Also, there's this option: Do some housework tonight, walk around a bunch, and get contractions started (because they always do when I'm on my feet for any amount of time; they just go away eventually when I'm finally exhausted and fall asleep.) Only this time, maybe I could just NOT GO TO BED, call the doula and the hospital, go in, and even if my contractions have stopped by then, when they check me and see I'm halfway dilated, surely they'll just go ahead and break my water or something and get labor started, right? I am getting SO tired of being convinced I'm in labor every night, only to have it taper off. Last night the contractions were painful and regular for two hours. I was so sure it was finally happening, and then, boom, gone.
Tell me what to do, people! Do I get some contractions going and head to the hospital, even though I know it's probably not the real thing, just to get admitted? Do I wait for the appointment tomorrow and talk about induction, which really scares me (Pitocin=excruciating pain)? Help!
P.S. Why is Adelay picking THIS week to give up her naps altogether?