You should all be very happy that Katy from Bird on the Street nominated me for a Happiness Award, because otherwise I was going to regale you today with a whole bunch of whining. Whining because- get this- after you go away for an impromptu romantic weekend in a faux castle in a giant forest far away from civilization but not far from a hot tub and wine glass, it turns out they make you come home again, and normal life is still RIGHT THERE waiting for you, with its sore throats and kids who become hysterical, Kleenex-shredding mental cases every time their nose gets a bit stuffy, and a dog who runs away and comes back so filthy that you realize there is really no other option but a bath. In a tub that was previously fairly clean.
But yeah... For a glorious twenty four hours, there was a (not really old, totally pretend) castle. In a misty forest. It was my favorite fantasy come true. If only I'd thought to bring my medieval garb. I'll post pictures soon. Of the CASTLE! CASTLE, PEOPLE!
For now, the award requires that I list ten things that make me happy, so here goes:
1) Jim introduced me to the show Brotherhood last night. And I am inexplicably hooked, though there is basically not a single character in it for which to root, and nobody I have a crush on, and, y'know, no CASTLES or anything. And there is gore and shadiness and people being beaten to death with shovels, so... I don't know why I like it? And maybe I have a problem? But I'm sensing the beginning of the end when it comes to The Office, so I really needed a new show to get into. Maybe it's pure desperation.
2) My saliva test results finally came in (they tested me throughout an entire cycle to measure eleven different hormone levels) and though they still want me to come in to the office (an hour away!) to discuss stuff, the nurse said from what she saw there was "nothing too crazy looking" in the results. I'll take that!
3)We have been on a bit of a buying spree lately- we got a new TV in November, and then for Christmas got a PS3. And Guitar Hero and Band Hero and et cetera. I've never been into, like, GAMES before, other than the Milton Bradley variety, but I am loving Guitar Hero. And I am loving how much better our picture quality is for movies using the PS3 instead of the DVD player. I'm also getting a new computer monitor next week, as mine is prehistoric and weighs as much as a cinder block, and I am VERY excited to see it go.
4) That last one sounded shallow and materialistic. But you guys, we were VERY frugal most of the year due to work cutbacks, and finally having a little fun money to spend is... fun. Way MORE fun, in fact, due to all the months of non spending. So there would be another happy thing: full salary again! High five!
5) Knock on wood, but so far this winter no one in our house has thrown up. Other than Dog, of course.
6) The Time Traveler's Wife comes out to rent/own February 9th. I CANNOT WAIT. SO EXCITED.
7) Playdate today!
8) Adelay is writing really well lately- she's known her letters for a long time, but has been very hesitant about trying to write anything. Now she can spell all of our names on her own, and write most other words as long as you dictate the letters to her.
9) Eli and Addy have inexplicably become obsessed with the song Livin' On A Prayer (thank you, Guitar Hero!) and last night Jim heard Eli singing it in his sleep. It's particularly hilarious to hear him lisp "We'll make it, I swear" in his little baby voice.
10) Did I mention CASTLE!?