Saturday, November 13, 2010

Freak Out

I interrupt this birth story flow to say that while I was doing remarkably well emotionally the last few weeks, I have finally had evidence of post partum insanity in the form of absolute hysterics re: mice. I mean, mice are gross and their feces can carry germs and all and no one likes finding evidence of them in their homes, but people, I am losing my damn MIND over the sudden mouse spotting in our house. Every closet has been dug through, every piece of furniture moved and cleaned under. I do not understand how, in a house that is pretty darn clean by most people's standards, we are suddenly having this problem. To the point that THREE times now I have actually SEEN a mouse dart out from around our wood stove. SEEN IT WITH MY EYES. And then sat on the couch, frozen in terror for a good ten minutes. This last time, today, just when I was beginning to relax and think that for sure the poison had finally done its work... well, I saw the mouse and then burst into tears. I cried for... a little while, let's just say.

There is poison in every non-kid accessible corner and there are traps in every spot we suspect there to be mouse activity. I don't know what else to do short of getting a few tomcats. But if I see one more effing mouse in my home, I may have to be committed. Seriously.

8 comments:

LoriD said...

Ugh. We went through this last winter. I was at the brink of insanity. The poison did finally work and we haven't seen any since, but my stomach still lurches when I see anything that looks like a mouse dropping on my counter (toaster crumb, chocolate sprinkle). *shudder*

Tracy said...

get a kitty. maybe just for a little while.

Jana said...

That is not postpartum insanity - that's normal! I freaked the h*** out when we had a mouse. And you should have seen me when we had rats in our attic. Crazy with a capital C.

d e v a n said...

hmm, that would freak me out too. Eventually the poison will work, we had the same problem when we moved in here and it was frustrating, but after it finally did work, we haven't seen another. I hope it works sooooooon, so your peace of mind will be restored!

Morgan S. said...

We had mice for a while too. It became an all-consuming obsession to eradicate them - there was nothing worse than finding mouse poop on my NIGHTSTAND in the morning - was the mouse watching me SLEEP?! Two odd places they were coming into our house were through a tiny space in the outside vent to our gas fireplace and in a tiny hole for the plumbing under our sink. HAAAAAATE THE MICE!!!!!!

Mama Bub said...

I worked in a classroom that had mice and I don't think I relaxed once during that entire school year. When the students weren't there, I would work from a desk in the middle of the room so I wouldn't be anywhere near the mice hiding places. I'm sure the poison will kick in soon-ish.

Jenn said...

Dude, I've been there- while I was pregnant and in full on nesting mode. ACK! I was pulling crap out of every little corner and cleaning everywhere. So I feel your pain. What you really need to do (and I learned this from a fab exterminator that I finally called after confessing to a friend that I just couldn't take any more) is to seal off where they are coming in. Get that expandable foam at the hardware store (like "Great Stuff") and go around your foundation and seal off any and every tiny crack or hole. Check where the siding meets the cement block. Our biggest one was the space around where the air conditioner hoses come into the house. Also, basement windows and around outside doors. You will be shocked by the gaps once you start looking. Also, it happens to nearly everyone, especially this time of year when it gets cold, it's not that you have a messy house, it's that your house looks nice and warm to those cold little field mice.

Mary O said...

Ewwwww... not a mouse!